I was watching the Chew the other day (Clinton Kelly is the BEST!) and they made a little dish I think you would like. Yam balls are a different twist and tasty addition to your Thanksgiving lineup. I might even add a little bit of bourbon. Little bites of fun will make your holiday fun and even keep your waistline in tact, unless you eat a dozen. xoxo
Yam Balls with Coconut and Marshmallows
- 4 medium yams
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 orange (zested)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup pecans (toasted, chopped)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Rinse and scrub yams with a brush and pat dry. Prick yams all over with a fork and place on prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and bake 40-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Lower oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add yam flesh and mash until smooth. Add maple syrup, orange zest, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut, pecans, and sugar. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Using a 2-inch cookie scoop, scoop yam mixture and press 3 mini marshmallows into the center of each ball. Roll each ball in the pecan mixture and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until marshmallows are soft and gooey. Transfer to platter and serve.
- Tip: Make this recipe a few days in advance and freeze before baking for one less dish to prep on turkey day!