Photo by Vanity Fair
Post positions are in! I’ve been looking at the horses and have a couple of thoughts for betting on Saturday.
Every year since I can remember Dan Liebman, a family friend and also the former editor of the Bloodhorse, would write an article for the local paper. The article was called “The Mythical $100 Derby Bet”. He would write about a combination of bets that would equal $100. It became a great family tradition that my uncle and I enjoy handicapping the Derby and each making the $100 bet. Over the years we have brought others into the Derby bet fold. We’ve had a great time with it!
The bet had a daily double Oaks/Derby bet, exacta bets, trifecta bets, across the board bets and then a win bet. Dan would pick his favorite horse (usually one that has higher odds) and then structure the bets around the horse. More often than not he would choose the winner. And when he did the winnings were big!
I’m afraid this year will be the first year that we will be on our own picking the Derby winner. Dan has since left the newspaper and has a very busy catering life with his barbeque restaurant Staxx. It’s really good barbeque in Frankfort and you should check it out!
I’ve been paying attention to the Derby prep races this year and I have a few thoughts on some horses. I’m not a big exotic better, but I see an exacta in our future this year. If I were you I would check out Mendelssohn, Justify, Good Magic and Bolt d’Oro. Mendelssohn won the World Cup in Dubai and according to several horsey people I know has the greatest trainer in the world. Mendelssohn is going to be our pick for Derby winner. Even though he just arrived from Ireland this week experts say that jet lag isn’t an issue for this horse.
Check out the post positions and make your bet!! Happy Derby xoxo
1. Firenze Fire, Jason Servis, Paco Lopez, 50-1
2. Free Drop Billy, Dale Romans, Robby Albarado, 30-1
3. Promises Fulfilled, Dale Romans, Corey Lanerie, 30-1
4. Flameaway, Mark Casse, Jose Lezcano, 30-1
5. Audible, Todd Pletcher, Javier Castellano, 8-1
6. Good Magic, Chad Brown, Jose Ortiz, 12-1
7. Justify, Bob Baffert, Mike Smith, 3-1
8. Lone Sailor, Tom Amoss, James Graham, 50-1
9. Hofburg, Bill Mott, Irad Ortiz Jr., 20-1
10. My Boy Jack, Keith Desormeaux, Kent Desormeaux, 30-1
11. Bolt d’Oro, Mick Ruis, Victor Espinoza, 8-1
12. Enticed, Kiaran McLaughlin, Junior Alvarado, 30-1
13. Bravazo, D. Wayne Lukas, Luis Contreras, 50-1
14. Mendelssohn, Aidan O’Brien, Ryan Moore, 5-1
15. Instilled Regard, Jerry Hollendorfer, Drayden Van Dyke, 50-1
16. Magnum Moon, Todd Pletcher, Luis Saez, 6-1
17. Solomini, Bob Baffert, Flavien Prat, 30-1
18. Vino Rosso, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 12-1
19. Noble Indy, Todd Pletcher, Florent Geroux, 30-1
20. Combatant, Steve Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr., 50-1